/ / The Church of San Giovanni Battista: photos, description, Collegiata di San Giovanni Battista)

The Church of San Giovanni Battista: photos, description, Collegiata di San Giovanni Battista)

The Church of San Giovanni Battista - Cathedral of Onele, one of the two main blocks of the Ligurian Imperia. It stands in the center of in the square, originates from the namesake street. Since then, as the square was closed for cars and given to pedestrians, it has become the center of public life.

The Church of San Giovanni Battista was built from 1739 to 1759, the first years by local architect Gaetano Amoretti and was consecrated in 1762, the year. It stands on the site of another, more ancient religious buildings. The temple is made in the style of Genoese late Baroque in the form of a Latin cross with three naves and a dome. White facade with three portals was completed in 1832, the year - it is made in the image of the facade of the Church Santa Maria della Quercia in Rome. The apse of the Church facing East. Near San Giovanni Battista stands the elegant bell tower, built in the same style. Both buildings have recently been restored and regained its original color: gray-white facade of the Church and ocher yellow for exterior walls and ochre and brick red for the walls of the bell tower. The Church's dome is lined with glazed tiles dark green color. The porch of the temple are decorated in a traditional Ligurian style - it is made of sea pebbles black and white.

Inside San Giovanni Battista decorated with gold and numerous frescos, the interior of this Church contrasts with the interior of the neoclassical Cathedral of Porto Maurizio, which is characterized by strict forms and monochrome stucco marble. The Church houses several works of art of the 18th century - the high altar of colored marble, made in 1793, the year, the carved wooden choir, the crucifix and the painting "Madonna del Rosario" Giovanni Battista garaventa group on. One of the two marble Shrine, located on either side of the chancel, is a creation Pace Gagini, 16th century.