/ / The Church of San Giorgio Maggiore: photo description (San Giorgio Maggiore)

The Church of San Giorgio Maggiore: photo description (San Giorgio Maggiore)

San Giorgio Maggiore is a Benedictine Church from the 16th century located on the namesake island in Venice. It was designed by the great architect Andrea Palladio and built between 1566 and 1610 m over the years. The Church has the status of a Basilica made in the classic Renaissance style. Its brilliant white marble façade reflected in the blue waters of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and is a Central element of the waterfront Riva degli Schiavoni.

The first Church on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore was built about 790, and in 982, the year the entire island became the property of the Benedictine monks who founded a monastery here. Unfortunately, in 1223, the year all the buildings on the island were destroyed in the earthquake. Later, the Church and monastery were rebuilt. The Church with Central nave and side chapels erected a little apart from former places. Before her was placed the cloister, which was demolished in 1516, the year.

In 1560, the year in Venice came the famous Andrea Palladio. In that year the monastery refectory was under reconstruction, and the famous architect took part in building. And five years later he was asked to work on the project of the new Church. Palladio finished his project to 1566, the ninth year, in the same year the Foundation of the temple was laid the first stone, and the building of the Church was actually completed in 1575, the year. Remained unfinished only the choirs behind the altar and the facade. The choirs built between 1580 and 1589 m over the years, and work on the facade continued until the early 17th century. In 1791, the year has been rebuilt the bell tower, originally built three centuries earlier. Today, its summit offers a wonderful view over Venice.

The famous facade of San Giorgio Maggiore shines white. Designed by Andrea Palladio, it is a great solution to the problem of combining classical temple facade with the essence of the Christian Church with its high Central nave and low side aisles, which had always been a difficult task for architects. Palladio actually combined two faces: one with a wide pediment and architrave, extending over the entire nave and both aisles, and the second with a narrower pediment and giant columns on high pedestals. On both sides of the Central portal are statues of saints George and Stephen, who dedicated the Church.

The interior of the Church with massive columns and pilasters on the white walls is striking in its scope. On either side of the presbytery you can see paintings by Tintoretto - "the Last supper" and "manna from Heaven". The Benedictine monks kept control of chapels, San Giorgio Maggiore and did not sell their aristocratic families, as was done in other Venetian churches. But later, the tradition still took its toll. Chapel right of the altar in his belonged to the Bollani family, and for some time remained without decoration. Only in 1708, the year it appeared the paintings by Sebastiano Ricci.