/ / The Church of San Zanipolo: photos, description Church of SS. Giovanni and Paolo (Zanipolo))

The Church of San Zanipolo: photos, description Church of SS. Giovanni and Paolo (Zanipolo))

"Zanipolo" is an abbreviation of the names of saints John and Paul, who dedicated the Church. It is located in the eponymous square, in the middle of which has an equestrian monument to Bartolomeo Colleoni, which was cast by Alessandro Leopardi.

The Church keeps the remains of the famous men of the Venetian Republic. Its construction was started by Dominican friars in 1246 and completed in 1430. A Grand facade in the lower part decorated ancient Byzantine reliefs, which merge with a lavishly decorated marble portal in the Gothic style, created by Bartolomeo Bon (mid XV century).

Bright interior, in the shape of a Latin cross, divided by ten huge columns into three naves with a spacious cross-vault. Here lie the remains of 25 Doges, because of what the Church is called the Venetian Pantheon. There are a few wonderful creations of the family Lombardo and some other famous sculptors.