/ / The Church of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane: photo, description Chiesa di San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane)

The Church of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane: photo, description Chiesa di San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane)

San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane also known as San Carlino, a Church in Rome, built by the architect Francesco Borromini. It is considered a masterpiece of Baroque architecture and is part of a complex of monastic buildings on the Quirinal hill, built for the Spanish Catholic order of Trinitarians. Barberini was commissioned to build a Church in 1634 by cardinal Francesco Barberini, whose Palace was across the road. However, the financial support of the cardinal was short-lived, and in the course of construction of the Church working all the time faced with a shortage of funds. Interestingly, the Church also is one of three in Rome, dedicated to Saint Karl, along with San Carlo AI Catinari and San Carlo al Corso.

First on the Quirinal hill was built a complex of monastic buildings and cloister, and only then, in 1638, construction began on the Church of San Carlino, which was completed in 1641. Five years later the Church was consecrated in honour of St. Carlo Borromeo. The location of the Church and monastic buildings, is located on the corner of Four Fountains (Quattro Fontane), the group of four fountains at the intersection of Strada Pia and Strada Felice. Nearby stands the Church of Sant'andrea al Quirinale by Bernini.

Concave-convex facade of San Carlino is made in a non-classical style. Tall Corinthian columns stand on plinths and attract attention with its architraves - they divide the facade into two levels. Located between the columns, smaller columns they frame the niches, Windows and various sculptures. Above the main entrance, the figures of the cherubim surround the sculpture of Carlo Borromeo by Antonio Raggi. At the sides are statues of saints Jean de Mata and Felix de Valois, the founders of the order of Trinitarians.

The interior of San Carlino quite extraordinary. One of the doors inside leads into the monastery, where you can get into the crypt with several chapels. The other door leads to a chapel known as the Cappella Barberini, in which the relics of St. Elizabeth, Canori Mora.