/ / The Church of San Cristoforo Sul Naviglio: photo description (San Christoforo sul Naviglio)

The Church of San Cristoforo Sul Naviglio: photo description (San Christoforo sul Naviglio)

San Cristoforo Sul Naviglio is a religious complex in Milan, consisting of two churches. The left is more ancient, it is a Romanesque reconstruction of ancient buildings (perhaps located on the site of Roman temple). The Romanesque building was rebuilt in the 13th century, when was built the Naviglio Grande. In the mid-14th century, the Church was decorated with a Gothic portal and a window plug. Then the side was built a hospital.

The second Church, more modern, now connected with the first. It was built in the 15th century and was originally called the Cappella Ducale (Ducal chapel). Customer of its construction was Gian Galeazzo Visconti, who wanted to dedicate the building to the patron Saint of the sick Saint Christopher — it was very up to date after the plague, in 1399, the year claimed the lives of 20 thousand inhabitants of Milan. The chapel was also dedicated to the patrons of the house of Visconti — saints John the Baptist, James, and Christians. The facade is decorated with the family crest of the Visconti and the Gothic Lancet Windows. And the façade of the first, more old churches decorated with the arms of cardinal Pietro Filargo, former Bishop of Milan and later Pope Alexander V.

Both churches were United in 1625, the year after the destruction of the dividing wall. The left nave has a wooden ceiling with fragments of frescoes of Borgognone. In the apse frescoes by Bernardino Luini depicting angels, saints and symbols of the Evangelists. In the right nave you can see the Gothic frescoes and a wonderful wooden statue of the 14th century, depicting Saint Christopher and Baby Jesus.