/ / The Church of San Macuto: photos, description (San Macuto)

The Church of San Macuto: photos, description (San Macuto)

San Macuto Church, located in the eponymous square in Rome near the Column of the Jesuit College of San Roberto Bellarmino in the Palazzo Gabrielli-Borromeo. This is the only Church in Italy dedicated to the Breton Saint Malo. Holy came from Wales and was a member of the monastic community founded by Kadoka Wise. Little later moved to Brittany, where he founded a monastery, which became the center of religious life. Few died in the first half of the 7th century, and revered the Holy Ghost was from the 11th century. The city in which he lived was called after him Saint-Malo

The first mention of the Church meet in 1192. In the second half of the 13th century it belonged to the Church of San Marcello al Corso, and later belonged to the order of the Dominicans, and in 1422 became a parish Church. In the 16th century monastic order from Bergamo, who at that time possessed a Church dedicated to the Martyr from Bergamo to St. Alexander, and the building in 1560, has acquired a new look by architect Giovanni Alberto de Galvani.

In the first half of the 18th century the monks from Bergamo by order of Pope Benedict XIII gave the Church to the Jesuits, who had dedicated the new temple of the Celtic Saint Malo. And today, the Church of San Macuto belongs to the Jesuits.

The facade of the nave of the Church was built in the 15th century, and the interior decorations were somewhat modified in 1819 by the architect Benedetto Piernicola who removed the original wooden arches. Interestingly, the monks Bergonzi, leaving the Church, took away all the furniture, so the Jesuits had to redo San Macuto.