/ / The Church of San Martino: photo, description Chiesa di San Martino)

The Church of San Martino: photo, description Chiesa di San Martino)

The Church of San Martino is located in the Tuscan Livorno in the area of Salviano. This building, erected on the site of a medieval temple, is considered one of the oldest in town, and his name immortalized in the story by Carlo Bini Al popolo della Pieve di San Martino in Salviano".

The history of San Martino is closely connected with the history of the quarter, Salviano, the old village, which only in the 20th century became the administrative part of Livorno, when there was built a new residential building. The Church is first mentioned in the 11th century according to historical documents, in 1277, the year she belonged to the Church of San Paolo al Andrea. I believe that the Church was dedicated to St. Martin, like many other temples stood along the pilgrimage route to Rome. In 1668, the year the Church was renovated and, subsequently, as a result of increasing population, Salviano, she was greatly expanded and modified and have lost much of its original appearance. New San Martino Church was consecrated in 1781 year. In the 18th century there was also built a new parsonage, and in 1843, the year with the erection of the building of the Archive of the order of the Santissimo Sacramento, a religious complex acquired its present appearance. At the nearby cemetery, enlarged in 1854, the year, were the graves of prominent city residents, including the famous Tuscan sculptor Paolo Emilio demi, whose remains were later moved to the sanctuary of Montenero.

Attraction San Martino is an ancient apse, which belonged to the medieval Church, it was built in the Romanesque style and "fit" into the current building. The facade of the Church is simple. On top you can see a huge rectangular window. The interior of San Martino is made in the style of the late Baroque. Here is an interesting painting of the 17th century depicting the Madonna and child with saints Dominic and Anthony. In 2007-m to year under the floor of the Church have been found graves, probably of the 16th century.