/ / The Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore: photo, description, (San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore)

The Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore: photo, description, (San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore)

San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is a Church in Milan that once was part of the master in city convent of the Benedictine order. Today the monastery is the archaeological Museum, and Church from October to June every Sunday to serve mass for the Byzantine rite. Also the Church used as a concert hall.

The complex of San Maurizio was founded in the era of the Lombards, partly absorbed the more ancient Roman structure. From the last preserved polygonal tower, a relic of the ancient walls, and a square tower at the time the former part of Racecourse and later served as the belfry of the Church.

In 1503 by the architect Gian Giacomo Dolcebuono was reconstructed the Church, but only 15 years later the construction was finally completed, under the supervision of the architect Cristoforo Solari. He divided the building into two parts: one meant for worship, the second for the residence of nuns.

The facade of the San Maurizio lined with gray stone from Ornavasso. Within the space of the nave divided by a wall and surrounded by chapels with cross-shaped vaults. The chapel is crowned with a loggia. The major artistic treasure of the Church is the cycle of frescoes of the 16th century covering the walls. Here you can see images of scenes from the life of St. Maurycy and the gospel story of the adoration of the Magi". The part of the Church, which was given to the nuns, also painted on the inner wall is preserved the work of Bernardino Luini depicting saints Catherine, Agatha, and the scene of Christ's crucifixion etc. Vaults decorated with a starry sky with the evangelists, angels and Jesus Christ in a crown of thorns.