/ / The Church of San Nicola: photo, description, (San Nicola)

The Church of San Nicola: photo, description, (San Nicola)

San Nicola Church in Pisa, the first mention of which goes back to 1097. With her in the same source mentioned, and the nearby monastery. In 1297-1313 the monks from the order of Augustine expanded the Church, perhaps by the architect Giovanni Pisano. In a 17th-century San Nicola was restored, adding a new altar and built the chapel of the Holy sacrament. The last in 1614 year built Matteo Nigetti.

The facade of the Church are decorated with pilasters without capitals, blind arches and diamond-shaped figures. Here you can see the wooden inlay of the 12th century. Inside the temple are stored panels with images of the Madonna and child (14th century), work of Matteo Trini and St. Nicholas saving Pisa from the plague (15th century), canvases by Giovanni Stefano Marucelli and Giovanni Biliverti, Crucifixion by Giovanni Pisano, another Madonna and child, this time made by Nino Pisano, and the Annunciation by Francesco di Valdambrino.

Indoor passage links the Church to the Torre de Cantone and Palazzo delle Vedove - with the help of it the noble ladies of the Medici family who lived in the Palace, could get to Church without going outside. The octagonal bell tower, the second in Pisa after the famous Leaning Tower, probably was built in 1170. It is not known who was its architect, but there is reason to believe that on the bell worked, Diotisalvi. Initially the bell tower was separated from the nearby buildings. She is also a little tilted - the basement is below the modern street level. The lower part of the bell tower decorated with blind arches with diamond-shaped figures. The effect of raznovidnosti is created for use in the construction of stones from different places.

A few words should be said about the above-mentioned Palazzo delle Vedove, standing near the Church of San Nicola. The name of the Palace built in 12-14 centuries, translated as the Widow's Palace. In his appearance are still visible medieval features such as marble arched Windows. In the 16th century the Palazzo was greatly modified and was used as residence of the widows of the Medici family.