/ / The Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'arno: photos, description San Paolo a Ripa d'arno)

The Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'arno: photos, description San Paolo a Ripa d'arno)

San Paolo a Ripa d'arno is a Church in Pisa, located, as the name implies, on the banks of the river Arno. This is one of the most outstanding Romanesque churches in Tuscany. Locals often call it, the Duomo Vecchio (Old Cathedral.

The first mention of the Foundation of San Paolo, Dating back to the first quarter of the 10th century. It is known, however, that in the year 1032 it existed. In 1092, the Church was attached to the convent of the order of Vallombrosa, and after half a century - to the hospital. In 11-12 centuries the building was significantly rebuilt, giving it a resemblance to the Cathedral of Pisa, and in 1148, was re-consecrated in the presence of Pope Eugene II. Since 1409, the Church was under the control of cardinal, Landolfo di Maramure, then, in 1552, became the property of the Grifoni family, and finally, after 1565 in the hands of the knights of St. Stephen. After its abolition in 1798 the San Paolo a Ripa d'arno became a parish Church.

In the second half of the 19th century, the building underwent significant restoration works under the direction of architect Pietro Bellini, who remade the Church in the Romanesque style. During the Second World war the Church, like most other buildings of Pisa, was seriously injured. The restoration of the historical monument lasted from 1949 to 1952.

The facade of San Paolo, designed in the 12th century but completed only in the 14th under the direction of Giovanni Pisano, is divided by pilasters into two parts and decorated with blind arches, marble inlays and three rows of loggias in the upper part. Inside the Church has a Latin cross in plan with a Central nave, side aisles, separated from each other by columns of granite from the island of Elba, an apse and a dome on the crossing with the transept. Here is the Crucifix of the 13th century, the frescoes of Buonamico, Buffalmacco and the image of the Madonna and child work Turino Vanni (14th century). But perhaps the main attraction of the Church is the Roman sarcophagus of the 2nd century, who in the Middle ages was used as a tomb.

Just behind San Paolo a Ripa d'arno is a small chapel of St. Agatha was built around 1063 by the monks. Once it was connected with the Church with auxiliary buildings, but after World war II, these buildings were demolished. Octagonal brick chapel decorated with pilasters, arches, arched Windows and an unusual pyramidal projection. Inside the well preserved wall paintings of the 12th century.