/ / Church of San Pietro in Mavino: photos, description San Pietro in Mavino)

Church of San Pietro in Mavino: photos, description San Pietro in Mavino)

Church of San Pietro in Mavino located in Piazza Manara in the resort town of Sirmione on lake Garda, was built in the era of the domination of the Lombards in Italy, but in the 14th century was considerably modified. Its bell tower in Romanesque style was built in 1070, and the numerous frescoes that adorn the interior, date from the 12th to 16th centuries. The Church stands on a hill at the far end of the Peninsula of Sirmione and surrounded by cypress alleys and olive groves. The hill offers breathtaking views of sky-blue waters of lake Garda.

765 in year one, Uninomade, a member of the local noble family, was ordered by king Desiderio and Queen Parallels to transfer all his property to the Basilica of Sirmione and the monastery of San Salvatore in Brescia in expiation of his guilt for a murder committed in the Royal Palace in Pavia. In that period, was built the Church of San Pietro in Mavino - its name probably comes from the Latin phrase meaning "a high place with vineyards." The bell tower standing at 17 meters, as mentioned above, was built later in two phases. In the 12th century in the apse of the Church appeared first mural. And in 1320, the building was held the first reconstruction: the foundations slightly raised, and the old facade was replaced with a new one. The walls of the Church painted with frescoes. About two centuries ago, in the first quarter of the 19th century - the roof of the temple was dismantled and laid again. The only Central nave of San Pietro in Mavino has the shape of an irregular rectangle, and a large Central apse with two smaller.

Near the old Church is one of the main tourist attractions of Sirmione is the so-called Grott of Catullus, which represents the ruins of a Roman Villa of the 1st and 2nd centuries CE, the Entire archaeological zone is situated on the territory of 2 hectares. At the entrance to the grotto is a small Museum.