/ / The Church of San Sisto: photo, description, (San Sisto)

The Church of San Sisto: photo, description, (San Sisto)

San Sisto - the stone Church in Pisa, built in the Pisano-Romanesque style and consecrated in 1133, the year. In it for several years signed the most important notarial deeds of the commune of Pisa. Saint Sixtus (San Sisto in Italian) was the ancient patron of the city, his feast was celebrated on 6 August. However, on 6 August of 1284 Pisa lost a naval battle at Meloria, having lost 12 thousand of its citizens. Since then, the festival has ceased to note.

The facade of the Church is divided into three parts, which are in turn separated by pilasters, and arched Windows and arches in the upper part. Inside San Sisto consists of a Central nave and two side aisles, separated from each other by columns with antique capitals. The roof of the Church gable. Here are the Arabic tombstone of the Emir al Apostate, brought to Pisa after the conquest of the Balearic Islands in 1115, a replica of the statue of the Madonna and child 14th century and rudder leaning galleys of the 14th to 15th centuries. The main altar of white marble was made by Giuseppe Vacca in 1730. It is decorated with images of cherubs and allegorical scenes of Faith and Charity. Worthy of attention also copies of the flags of the historical quarters of Pisa Republic. From 1926 near the Church of San Sisto, stood the statue of Giovanni Pisano, the great Italian sculptor and architect. However, in January 1945, it was destroyed in the explosion.

Since 1958 on the initiative of the Association of Friends of Pisa it was decided to make August 6 a day of remembrance for all of the citizens who died in all wars. Since that day in the Church of San Sisto held a ceremony of remembrance, and on the grave lay a Laurel wreath, which resembles the dead. At the end of Mass read out the President's address.