/ / The Church of San Sisto: photo, description Chiesa di San Sisto)

The Church of San Sisto: photo, description Chiesa di San Sisto)

San Sisto - the Roman Catholic Church in Piacenza, built in the Renaissance style. The Church and adjacent convent and hospital was based in 874 year by order of the Queen Engelberga, wife of Emperor Louis II. She was sent into exile, but later, in 882, the year, she was allowed to return to Italy, where she became abbess of the Benedictine monastery, probably the monastery of San Sisto.

Through the acquisition of a substantial privilege, and the ownership of land in Northern Italy, the monastery soon became very rich. Over the centuries various monastic orders were trying to seduce him, while in 1425, the year he was transferred to the ownership of the Benedictine order of Monte Cassino. In 1499, the year the monks instructed Alessio Tromello to build a new Church, which was consecrated in 1511, the year, but until 1591, the year the façade in the Mannerist style, was left unfinished. The Church draws attention to the asymmetry, and the various ridiculous elements. Side doors on the facade are smaller than the Central. The main portal is decorated with niches for statues located at the rounded arch. The first floor is decorated with half columns, and on the second floor are visible a short pilasters topped with maccaronni smiling Gorgon. These maskeroni serve as downpipes. The Central rose-window framed by a square frame. The facade of the Church is also notable for the three statues in human growth - to the left is a statue of San Germano, in the centre of San Sisto, and the right San Benedetto. Women are represented with busts of saints Barbara and Martina, which can be seen above the side Windows. Standing next to the Church of the monastery in Renaissance style and today is owned by the military and closed to the public. Its cloister is decorated with numerous frescoes by Bernardino Zacchetti.

The interior of San Sisto, decorated with frescoes by Antonio and Vincenzo Campi, as well as works by procaccini, Camillo (the altarpiece) and Jacopo Palma Il Giovane (pictures in the choir). The dome in the centre of the transept painted by Bernardino Zacchetti. At the end of the Central nave you can see a copy of the painting of Raphael's "Sistine Madonna", the creation of which is attributed to Pietro Antonio Avanzini. The original painting of Raphael the Benedictine monks in 1754, the year was sold to the Polish king Augustus III and today it is kept in the Berlin art gallery.