/ / Church of San Fortunato photo, description Chiesa di San Fortunato)

Church of San Fortunato photo, description Chiesa di San Fortunato)

Church of San Fortunato in Todi was built by Franciscan friars and once belonged to the order of Vallombrosa. The first stage of construction lasted from 1292 1328 for years - during this time was completed and two choirs of four vaulted galleries. Then followed almost a century of interruption, and only in 1408, the work on the construction of the Church resumed. Despite the fact that on the facade of San Fortunato worked with 1415 1458 for years, it remained unfinished. And the Church itself was completed only in 1468.

Elegant main portal, created in the years 1420-1436, decorated with carvings depicting scenes from the last judgment, which is almost exactly like the portal of the Cathedral of Orvieto. Two stone lions welcome visitors to the top of the stairs leading to the Church, was taken from was there before the Roman temple of the 7th century. Interestingly the interior of the Church consists of three naves of the same height, similar layout can also be seen in the churches of San Domenico and San Lorenzo in Perugia. But massive faceted columns and Lancet arches of San Fortunato make it the most significant piece of architecture of its kind in the whole of Central Italy.

Side of the chapel, which was originally conceived as a part of the Church are also rather characteristic phenomenon of the Italian Renaissance. Usually they were bought by rich families, which then turned the chapel into their family crypts. And the Church for it had a lot of money.

Small differences, noticeable in the first pair of pillars and small Windows of the first two vaulted galleries, a reminder that the construction of San Fortunato was conducted in two stages. To the right of the first column is a Gothic chalice with Holy water. In the chapel on the same side you can see a fresco depicting the Madonna and child with angels work Masolino da Panicale. The other chapel is decorated with frescoes by pupils of Giotto in the first half of the 14th century. Above the entrance to the chapel are placed the pulpit of the 14th century. Seats are wooden choir is the creation of Antonio Maffei di Gubbio, who worked here in the late 16th century.

In the crypt under the Church is the grave by jacopone da Todi, a zealous Franciscan monk, who was one of the first followers of the teachings of St. Francis of Assisi. In addition, he was a poet who wrote on the so-called "vulgar" Italian language, which later formed the basis of modern Italian.