/ / The Church of San Francesco: photos, description Chiesa di San Francesco)

The Church of San Francesco: photos, description Chiesa di San Francesco)

San Francesco Church in the Tuscan city of Prato, located in the eponymous square 12th-14th centuries in the heart of the historic center of the city. This is an important religious center and one of the first Franciscan churches of the monastery, built on land that was transferred to the monastic community of the municipality of Prato, just a few days after the canonization of St. Francis in 1228, the year.

The construction of the temple began in 1281, the year next to prayer the Franciscan monastery, which, in turn, was erected in 1228, the year. It was completed in 1331, the year, and the Church of San Francesco became the first building in Prato of brick instead of the usual stone. The facade with the Central portal lined with green serpentinite and attracts the attention of a triangular tympanum of the 15th century with a moulded frieze of Andrea della Robbia. Belfry 18-говекабылапостроенапопроектуАнтониобенини.

The interior of the Church was restored in 1902-1904, respectively, in posrednikom style. Among burnish his works of art can be called tombstone Geminiano Inghirami 15th century, the creation of which was attributed to Pasquino da Montepulciano; made of grey Sandstone pulpit in the Renaissance style with the monogram of Christ, which, according to legend, in Prato has brought St. Bernardino; a wooden crucifix of the 14th century and the tomb of patron Francesco Datini of white marble.

To the left of the presbytery is the entrance to the chapel of Rentadora, built in the first half of the 14th century. Here are traces of frescoes of the 17th century, and various notable architectural elements. Another interesting chapel is Meliorate - was completely painted with frescoes by Niccolo Gerini, which was inspired by the work of Giotto.

Cloister of San Francesco, dated 1438-1440 years, a remarkable ionic columns is the first building in the Renaissance style in Prato.