/ / Church of Sant Ambrogio: photos, description (Chiesa di Sant'ambrogio)

Church of Sant Ambrogio: photos, description (Chiesa di Sant'ambrogio)

The Church of St. Ambrogio in the resort town of Alassio in Liguria, located in the eponymous square in the heart of the city. It was built in the second half of the 15th century on the site of a small temple of the 10th century, and in 1507, the year received the status of a parish. Originally the building was done in the Romanesque style, but at the beginning of the 18th century was rebuilt in Baroque style. The Church's bell tower with its Lancet Windows and tricuspid preserved features of late Romano-Gothic style and Renaissance façade was made in 1896 year.

A beautiful and impressive Central portal of Sant Ambrogio made in 1511, the year of stone and decorated with relief images of St. Ambrogio, of Christ and the Apostles with different dates and names. Inside the Central arch painted with frescoes depicting scenes from the life of the patron Saint of the Church is a creation of Virgilio Grana from Albenga. Also the interior of the Church is decorated with works by famous Genoese artists of the 17th century, Bernardo Castello, Giovanni Andrea de Ferrari and Giulio Benso. In the right side aisle is the altar of Santa Anna and the picture of Francesco Carrega of Porto Maurizio. The main tabernacle is made of black marble and decorated with an elegant engraving of the late 15th century, it contains the famous relic lint Santi".

The Church yard before the main entrance was built in 1638, the year and paved with white and gray pebbles. And near the Church of Sant Ambrogio located the chapel of Santa Caterina d Alessandria.