/ / The Church of Sant'andrea al Quirinale: photos, description (Sant'andrea al Quirinale)

The Church of Sant'andrea al Quirinale: photos, description (Sant'andrea al Quirinale)

The Church of Sant Andrea al Quirinale - an outstanding example of Roman Baroque architecture. Built by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for the Jesuits, on the Quirinal hill in Rome. Bernini was commissioned to design the Church in 1658, the construction itself lasted until 1661, but the internal decoration was completed by 1670. In the place where today stands the Church, previously occupied by another Church of the 16th century Sant'andrea and Montecavallo. The current Church, erected on the initiative of cardinal Camillo Francesco Maria Pamphili and with the approval of Pope Alexander VII, was the third in Rome, belonged to the Jesuit order. It was assumed that it will be used for a novitiate, a period of poslushnika converts the monks, which was introduced in 1566. He considered Bernini's Sant'andrea al Quirinale is one of the best of his creations, and his son Domenico recalled how the father sat for hours inside the Church, enjoying the work performed.

The façade of Sant'andrea al Quirinale facing the street of via del Quirinale, as well as the Church of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane Borromini's work below in the course of the street. On the facade above the portico you can see the Pamphili family coat of arms. Inside the oval main room for members defined by walls, pilasters and architrave, which frame the side chapels and gilded dome on top. Paired columns separate the space of the altar from the parish part. In contrast to the dark side chapels, the main altar of the Church is well lit - it is the "anchor" of the interior, which involuntarily pay attention. Over the altar you can see a picture of "the Martyrdom of St. Andrew" by French painter Guillaume Courtois. Another image of the Saint - white marble sculpture by Antonio Raggi.

Special mention deserve the chapel of the Church. The first right is the chapel of St. Francis Xavier decorated with paintings of Baciccio the early 18th century and the work of Filippo Bracci on the arches. Chapel of the Passion, also known as the Chapel of Flagellation, remarkable paintings depicting the passion of Christ for the work of Giacinto brandi. To the left of the altar is the chapel of Stanislaus Stanislaus Kostka, patron of Poland - it holds the tomb of the Saint, an urn of bronze and lapis lazuli 1716. Above the urn - painting Carlo Maratta Madonna and child with St. Stanislaus Kostka Stanislaw". The last chapel dedicated to Saint Ignatius of Loyola, decorated with paintings by Ludovico Mazzanti "Madonna and child" and "the Adoration of the Magi.

Between Stanislaus Kostka chapel and the main altar of the Church is the side chapel with a huge crucifix. It is the tomb of Charles Emanuel IV, king of the Kingdom of Sardinia and Duke of Savoy, who, in 1815, abdicated and became a member of the Jesuit order.