/ / The Church of Sant'agnello Maggiore: photo, description Chiesa di Sant'agnello Maggiore)

The Church of Sant'agnello Maggiore: photo, description Chiesa di Sant'agnello Maggiore)

The Church of Sant'agnello Maggiore, also known as Sant'agnello and Caponapoli and Santa Maria Intercede is located in the historical centre of Naples. According to legend, the Holy lamb, one of the protectors of Naples, was buried in this Church. However, another legend has it that his tomb is in the Cathedral of Lucca.

The Holy lamb was a Bishop of Naples in the 6th century and defended the city during the predatory raids of the Lombards. Presumably, the Church was founded and consecrated in honour of virgin Mary parents'agnello. Recent studies have confirmed that it was built on the site of the ancient Roman Acropolis of the 4th century. When the Holy lamb has died, the Church became known as Santa Maria dei Sette Cieli (Seven Heavens). And in the 9th century on its place the Neapolitan Bishop of Atanasii built a new temple and dedicated it to the Holy lamb, placed inside the relics of the Saint. In the Middle ages the cult of St. Agnello has become incredibly common, and with the end of the 13th century until 1517, the year the Church was administered by the canons regular of the Lateran.

From 1510 to 1600-th years the Church was under renovation, during which it was rebuilt and increased in size at initiatique Archbishop Giovanni Maria Podariko. The transept, previously the Church of St Mary Intercede were converted and entered into the temple of Sant'agnello in the early 16th century, and work on the design of internal premises continued until the 18th century. The main altar is the work of Girolamo Santacroce and stone floor - the work of Vincenzo Martino.

In 1809, the year monastic order which owned the Church, was abolished and the Church was sold to a private person, Cosimo d'orazio. However, by the mid-19th century for the maintenance of the temple was under the Ministry of internal Affairs, which in 1903, the year planned to demolish the Church and the adjacent monastery. Fortunately, these plans were not implemented. During the Second World war, the buildings were seriously damaged, and only in 1962 year, there were carried out restoration work, during which was discovered the ruins of the ancient Acropolis. In 2011, the year the Church of Sant'agnello was opened to the public. Today it attracts the attention of medieval bas-reliefs, antique paintings and original main altar.