/ / The Church of Santa Anna: photos, description (Chiesa di Santa Anna)

The Church of Santa Anna: photos, description (Chiesa di Santa Anna)

The Church of Santa Anna, located on the homonymous square of Caserta, is especially revered by the people as Saint Anne, along with Saint Sebastian is the patron Saint of the city. The Church was built in the 17th century on the site of a small ancient temple of the Madonna di Loreto. During the Second World war the building was severely damaged by air strikes, and was subsequently completely restored. From the original structure is preserved only the Foundation and facade, and the interior was re-done in a modern style. Among the works of art that adorn the Church, you can see the statue of St. Anne of the 18th century, donated to the Church of believers and especially revered the day of memory sacred, bust of Christ wearing the crown of thorns, the statue of St. Antonio abate, the sculpture of the Madonna di Loreto and a series of bronze plaques on the facade depicting scenes from the life of the Madonna and Jesus. Every year in July in Caserta is the feast of the veneration of saints, when a solemn procession goes through the streets of the city to the Church of Santa Anna.

The square on which stands the Church, Piazza Santa Anna serves as a border between the historical centre of Caserta and the southern part of the city. Here is also located the building of the former city hospital, which for many years was abandoned, and today turned into a regional seat of the Ministry of Finance of Italy. Opposite the Church is a monument to the virgin Mary of stone and marble, erected in 1956 year.