/ / The Church of Santa Caterina: photo, description Chiesa di Santa Caterina)

The Church of Santa Caterina: photo, description Chiesa di Santa Caterina)

The Church of Santa Caterina, located in the historic centre of Palermo, adjacent to the monastery founded in the 14th century by monks of the Dominican order. The construction of the Church began in 1566 and was completed only in the late 16th century in 1596. The dome and choirs were added, respectively, in the mid-17th century and in 1863. One of the facades of Santa Caterina overlooks the Central square of the city Piazza Pretoria, a fountain topped with the same name, and the second on Piazza Bellini, which is a beautiful Church of the Martorana and San Cataldo.

Rich interior nave of the Church of Santa Caterina the time of the Counter reformation strikes at first sight. A special device of the main hall allowed the nuns, unseen, to participate in the liturgies choirs stationed at the entrance with the supports of the two columns. Decoration of internal rooms, as in most other churches of Palermo, consists of luxurious marble finishes and murals that blended into the architectural bearing elements. Among the artists who worked on the decoration of the Church, it is necessary to highlight Filippo Randazzo, author of "Triumph of St. Catherine" and "the Glory of the Dominicans," written in 1744, and Vito D'anna, the Creator of the films "Triumph of the Dominican order" and "Allegory of the continents" written in the second half of the 18th century.

Near the Church there are various tourist attractions, historical square, Quattro Canti, Palazzo dei Normanni, the Teatro Massimo and the city administration building, located in the Palazzo Pretorio in the eponymous square.