/ / The Church of Santa Caterina and Magnanapoli: photos, description, Santa Caterina a Roman forum territory under Vittoriano)

The Church of Santa Caterina and Magnanapoli: photos, description, Santa Caterina a Roman forum territory under Vittoriano)

Santa Caterina and Magnanapoli - Church of the 16th century, dedicated to Saint Catherine of Siena. Located on the Quirinal hill, in Piazza Magnanapoli.

The first Church on this place was built around 1575 and was part of the nearby Dominican monastery, built in 1568 by order of Pope Pius V. Today, the building of the monastery is located the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas. The construction of the present Church began in 1608 - the project was made by architect Carlo Maderno, and the money is allocated by cardinal Scipione Borghese. In 1613 the construction work was discontinued and resumed only a decade and a half later. After a year, Carlo Maderno died, and it took Giovanni Battista Soria, who significantly changed the original design of the Church. Between 1631 and 1641 was completed, the facade and the balustrade appeared heraldic symbol of the Chigi family, to which belonged the former the power of the Pope Alexander VII.

The facade of the Church is executed in style of late Baroque. Inside, the building consists of a Central nave with six chapels, three on each side. The interior is richly decorated with works of art of the 17th and partly 18th centuries. So, the dome is decorated with the work of Francesco Rosa, but the ceiling frescoes in the Rococo style belong to the brush of Luigi Garzi. Chapel of lapis lazuli, agate and gold-plated bronze made in 1787 Carlo Marchionni. The stucco decorations are the work of Pietro Bracci. In the corridor leading to the sacristy, frescoes, Antoniazzo Romano and his students. In addition, the interior of the Church attracted the attention of many sculptures including those made of colored marble. In one of the chapels of the Madonna exhibited the work of Giovanni Battista Passeri - she is considered one of his best works.

Double staircase leads to the cloister, built in the 20th century, and under the stairs is located the Crypt of the Fallen, built in 1934 and dedicated to all priests who died during the First world war.