/ / The Church of Santa Maria Assunta: photos, description (Santa Maria Assunta)

The Church of Santa Maria Assunta: photos, description (Santa Maria Assunta)

Santa Maria Assunta Church in Cannaregio, Venice, stands on Campo dei Gesuiti near the Fondamenta Nuove. According to some historical documents, the building of the first Church on this place started in 1148, the year on land surrounded by marshes.

In 1523, the year Venice first visited St. Ignatius of Loyola, who from here went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem. He returned in 1535, the year with a group of comrades who even then called themselves Jesuits, and here were ordained priests. Two years it took the Jesuits to settle in the Venetian lagoon and to collect a huge amount of followers. However, in 1606, the year because of disagreements between Pope Paul V and the Republic of Venice issued the Interdict, Venice forbidding the holding of religious ceremonies. Consequently, in 1657, the year the Jesuits were expelled from the city. During these years, Venice was involved in a war with Turkey, and the Pope Alexander VIII decided to support the Bethlehem order, which was created to help the Knights of the cross, which was under the control of the Pope. All property of the order, including the Church, hospital and monastery was sold to the Jesuits for 50 thousand ducats. But the little "Bethlehem" the Church could not accommodate all the followers of the Jesuits, therefore, in 1715, the year it was demolished and in its place built a new Church, called Santa Maria Assunta.

The architect of the new Church was Domenico Rossi, who had previously worked on the building of San STAE. His candidacy was endorsed by the highest ranks of the order, but I must say, for Russia the task was not easy - he had to work according to strictly defined rules. The façade of the Church consists of two tiers: the bottom is formed by eight columns, on which rests the rough and cracked architrave of the upper. The columns support eight statues, which, together with four others in the niches depict the Twelve Apostles. On either side of the main entrance you can see four statues of saints Peter, Paul, Matthew, and James the son of Zebedee, and the tympanum sculptures Giuseppe Torretti.

Inside Santa Maria Assunta made in the form of a Latin cross with three chapels in the Central nave is a typical example of Jesuit architecture. The chapel is separated from each other in small rooms, which probably in the past been used as a confessional. Between the second and third chapel is notable for the pulpit work of Francesco Bonazza), and along the entire corridor established "corretti" off - grid.

Central nave of the temple pales in comparison with the main altar dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Four columns decorated with green and white marble, support a frescoed groin vault. There, in the chancel you can admire the statues of Giuseppe Torretti - Cherubini, little angels, archangels and cupids. The altar, designed by Giuseppe Pozzo, surrounded by ten columns on which the dome of green and white marble.