/ / The Church of Santa Maria Assunta: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta)

The Church of Santa Maria Assunta: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta)

The Church of Santa Maria Assunta is the main Church of the resort town of Positano, located in the heart of it in Piazza Flavio Gioia, and one of the most beautiful on the Amalfi Riviera. Built around the 10th century, it stands out for its beautiful dome covered with majolica. In the apse of the fragments of ancient Byzantine mosaics. And at the throne you can see a Byzantine altarpiece of the 12th century depicting the Black Madonna with the Baby. Local legend has it that long ago a ship coming from the Far East, stopped in Positano and could not go further because of the weather. And one day a voice from heaven ordered the crew to leave the city the icon of virgin Mary, the vow was made, and soon the ship successfully sailed away. In another similar legend, once the icon of Black Madonna from Byzantium stole the Saracens. However, the coast of Positano, they were caught in a terrible storm, and the robbers could not leave the city. Only when suddenly he heard a mysterious voice - "Put that back! Put!", the frightened Saracens returned the icon to the shore. At the same moment the storm ceased. By the way, the name of the town - Positano - comes from the same legend: in Latin, the phrase "put a" sounds like "pose".

The present appearance of the Church of Santa Maria Assunta is the result of restorations carried out in the 18th century. Stucco and gold decorations adorn three naves with five arches, and choirs of the walnut, located in a side apse. In one of the side chapels you can see the canvas Fabrizio Santafede 1599, the year Circoncisione", and in the chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari (San Nicola di Bari) is a Nativity scene with shepherds, made in the 18th century. Finally, in the chapel of San Stefano is a wooden statue of the virgin Mary Jesus 18th-century. The arch between the right side aisle and transept is embellished with a bas-relief, dated 1506, the year. And right in front of her is a gravestone Pirro Giovanni Campanile, a priest from Naples.

A few steps from the Church stands the wonderful bell tower, built in 1707, the year of the Capuchin monks. Above the door leading to the belfry, you can see a bas-relief of the middle Ages, and above this is the tombstone of Flavio Gioia, the inventor of the compass.

The Church of Santa Maria Assunta has always been a wonderful example of medieval architecture, and its history is closely connected with the history of the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria. According to legend, the monastery was erected in honor of the icon of the Black Madonna and child, still revered by the locals. The monastery had a certain political weight until the first half of the 15th century, when the last Benedictine Abbot Antonio Accadacca and his novices, tired of the constant raids of the pirates, left the building. A few years later the monastery's Church gave Nicola Miroballi, who later became the Bishop of Amalfi. Unfortunately, despite the restoration work of the early 17th century, the Church gradually fell into decay. Only in 1777, the year began large-scale reconstruction, which ended six years later, hoisting a Golden crown on the icon of a Black Madonna and child.