/ / The Church of Santa Maria della Croce: photos, description Santa Maria della Croce)

The Church of Santa Maria della Croce: photos, description Santa Maria della Croce)

Santa Maria della Croce - the old Catholic Church in the town of Cream in the Italian region Lombardy. It was built about a kilometer from the centre of the city, and once was located outside the medieval city walls Skin on the road to Bergamo. According to legend, in this place with a resident of the city, a certain Caterina degli Uberti, a miracle happened. In 1489, the year she was mortally wounded her husband in a nearby forest, but not wanting to die without Holy communion, prayed to the virgin Mary. They say that the virgin Mary appeared to Catherine, and she received communion and forgiving husband, died. Later on this place was the place of miracles, and, in the end, it was decided to build the temple.

The work on the construction of the Church commissioned the architect from the town of Lodi Giovanni Battagia, the disciple of Bramante (he was also the author of the round temple of Incoronata in Lodi). However, in 1500, the year of Battalio was replaced by Giovanni Montanaro. In 1514, the year construction was aborted because the Cream was besieged by enemy troops. At the end of the 17th century Santa Maria della Croce became the property of the Discalced Carmelites, on whose initiative in 1706, the year began the construction of the adjacent monastery. A few years later was built the bell tower, but one hundred years later, in 1810 year, the order of Carmelites were forced to leave the Cream, which was occupied by Napoleon's troops. And in the last century, in 1958 year, the Church received the status of a minor Basilica.

Battalio, designed the Church in the form of a Latin cross with the Central part with a height of about 35 meters and four adjacent structures with a height of 15 meters. Attract the attention of a gallery with arched Windows, pilasters, triple arches with decorative railings and a small column. On the Western side, covered with tiles, are the octagonal chapel and the main entrance to the Church. Inside you can see the throne of the Cathedral, decorated with lapis lazuli, the altarpiece painted by Benedetto Rusconi, statues by Agostino de Fondales, rich in stucco works by Giovanni Battista Castello, paintings of Campi, Urbino, Diana, Grundy, and other masters.