/ / The Church of Santa Maria della Marina: photo, description Santa Maria della Marina)

The Church of Santa Maria della Marina: photo, description Santa Maria della Marina)

The Church of Santa Maria della Marina Cathedral is the town of San Benedetto del Tronto, the main resort of Palm Riviera on the Adriatic coast of Italy. Also from 1983, the year here is the chair of the Bishop of San Benedetto del Tronto-Ripatransone-Montalto. In July 2001, the year of Santa Maria della Marina received the title of minor Basilica on the initiative of Pope John Paul II.

The initial project of the Church was completed in the first half of the 19th century architect from Bologna, Gaetano Ferri. However, construction work only began in 1847, the year and lasted for six decades because of the constantly occurring delays and to make to the plan change. The Church was consecrated and opened for public only in 1908 year, despite the fact that prior to the final completion of construction was still far off. The facade is of white limestone and exterior wide stairs were built after the Second World war, and the whole building was consecrated in February 1973.

Inside of Santa Maria della Marina, consists of a Central nave and two side aisles. The apse of the Church decorated with frescoes by the painter of the Franciscan Ugolino da Belluno, which depict various saints and traditions of the seaside city. There, in the apse is the canvas of the 17th century with the image of the Madonna and child. And the two side altars, the relics of the patron San Benedetto del Tronto - saints Urbica and Illuminate.