/ / The Church of Santa Maria della Pieve: photo, description Santa Maria della Pieve)

The Church of Santa Maria della Pieve: photo, description Santa Maria della Pieve)

Santa Maria della Pieve, an old Church in Siena, Tuscany. The first mention of it found in the document 1008, the year, and during the existence of the commune of Arezzo, it was a stronghold of the struggle of the citizens against the bishops. Once on the orders of one of the bishops was built the Cathedral and the Episcopal Palace (Palazzo Vescovile), Santa Maria della Pieve, already rebuilt, was again restored (with special emphasis on the facade and apse) and its interior in the 13th century was built in the Gothic style. Bell tower Dating back to 1330, the ninth year, done in the Romanesque style.

The most memorable feature of Santa Maria della Pieve is the facade with Pyaterochka the bottom, surmounted by three loggias, and a number of columns different y height. The columns and their capitals are different from each other, and one of them is even a statue. The current decoration of the facade was made in the 12th century, since the original Church no distinctive features had not.

The Central portal of the temple has an entrance with barrel vault and lunette with a bas-relief depicting the Praying virgin Mary and angels. Under the bas-relief is a frieze with small angles and initials Marchionne. And on the vault are images of months of the school Benedetto by Antel. Two side of the portal, smaller, also have decorated lunettes - they depict the Baptism of Christ and floral designs.

The apse, rebuilt in the 13th century, contains two rows of loggias, which resemble the structure of the Church façade, and arched Windows. Generally, inside of Santa Maria della Pieve is composed of a high Central nave and two side aisles, separated by elongated pointed arches, columns decorated with Corinthian capitals. At the high altar you can see Tarlati Polyptych with Madonna and saints painted by Pietro Lorenzetti and fragments of frescos with images of saints Dominic and Francis, attributed to Andrea di Nerlo. In the crypt is kept a bust of St. Donatus, made in 1346, the year.

Special attention is given to the powerful bell tower with five rows of arched Windows. Inside is the baptistery with the font, which dates from the 14th century.