/ / The Church of Santa Maria del Lago in Moscufo: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria del Lago)

The Church of Santa Maria del Lago in Moscufo: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria del Lago)

The Church of Santa Maria del Lago is located in a small town near Moscufo Pescara. Initially, this lovely Church was called Santa Maria ad Lukus (lukus is sacred to the Latins forest), and then it was called Santa Maria ad Lacum (lakus), although in the vicinity there was never any lake or pond.

In typical Romanesque brick facade of pale color is the stone portal of the 12th century, decorated with images of symbols of the four Evangelists and Christ. And in the meadow right in front of the Church stands a huge font, made of white limestone. The interior of the Church, made the type of a Basilica, quite strict, if not harsh. Eight columns and two brick pilasters support round arches also divide the space into three chapels, which result in the same kolichstvom apses. The latter is decorated with fragments of frescoes depicting the last judgment (late 13th century), the twelve apostles and Christ. Special attention deserves the statue of the Madonna, made in 1490, the year.

But the real pearl is the Church of Santa Maria del Lago is the pulpit, which in 1159, the year the Abbot of Montecassino, Rinaldo ordered the master to Nicodemus. The chair is made of gypsum, on a square base, and standing on four columns, separated from each other by three arches, one of which is decorated with ornaments in the shape of a Shamrock. In this impressive ornament shows the influence of Lombard, Arabic, Celtic and Mediterranean art, which is typical of the masterpieces of Nicodemus. Bas-reliefs depict the symbolic and biblical scenes - job, swallowed by the whale and then thrown under the tree imortant, or David fighting the bear and lion. Here you can also see the symbols of the four Evangelists - eagle, angel, lion and ox.