/ / The Church of Santa Maria del Rosario: photo, description Santa Maria del Rosario)

The Church of Santa Maria del Rosario: photo, description Santa Maria del Rosario)

Santa Maria del Rosario, better known as Dzhezuati, - Dominican Church in the Dorsoduro district of Venice, standing on the banks of the Giudecca canal. Its well-lit building in the classical style with decorative elements of the Rococo style - one of the most well-preserved in the city.

The construction of the Church was begun in 1725, the year and ended in 1743, the year, and the last statue was placed inside, in 1755, the year, although the history of the religious order known as "And Poveri Dzhezuati", originates in the 14th century. The order of Iezuitov blessed Jerome was founded in Siena, and Venice became known since 1390, the year. Iezuitov, by the way, not to be confused with the Jesuits, the Church, which is located in the Northern part of Venice. In 1493, the year jesuati, thanks to the donations have accumulated some state, began construction of a small Church on a plot of land, facing the Giudecca canal, where there were other buildings of the order. The Church was originally dedicated to San Girolamo, and then began to carry the name of Santa Maria della our lady of the visitation. Later the order began to experience difficulty attracting new parishioners, and this coincided with the inability to fulfil some of their promises, which led to the abolition of the order in 1668, the year. All the property of Iezuitov blessed Jerome was bought by the Dominicans, including a small Church.

Santa Maria della our lady of the visitation could not accommodate all members of the Dominican order, so in 1720, the year it was decided to build a new building, larger and more luxurious in its architectural design. The Palace was designed by Giorgio Massari, who was called the greatest architect of Venice in the first half of the 18th century. Construction work began in 1725, the year when the Dominicans even raised money for a good cause. Money was collected so that the order could not only build a beautiful Church, but also to decorate it with works of the greatest artists and sculptors of the time.

Massari decided not to touch, which was already in the building of Santa Maria della our lady of the visitation, and began the erection of a new Church a little to the side, in the place where we could see views of the famous churches in Venice - San Giorgio Maggiore and the Redentore. Massari himself was inspired by these great buildings, so the outside resembles the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, and the inside - the Redentore.

In order to support the huge weight of the facade of Santa Maria del Rosario, in the ground were scored 270 piles, and the heavy triangular pediment holding a giant Corinthian columns. The Central portal is surrounded by four niches with statues of the four virtues - Justice, Prudence, Courage and Moderation.

The Central nave of the Church is well lit by large Windows on either side of him, which accentuates the contrast between the white walls and grey stone. The painted vaults of the temple was entrusted to Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, which was completed by 1739 year, the artist decorated the ceiling of three huge murals. There, in the vaults, you can see other monochrome images, sketches which were made by the same Tiepolo, but they are made his disciples. One of the altars of the Church are decorated with the work of another eminent painter "Crucifixion" by Tintoretto. This painting was painted around 1560, the year and is the oldest in the temple. Noteworthy are also numerous sculptures, most of which made Giovanni Maria Morlaiter, who was called one of the most gifted sculptors of the Venetian 18th century.