/ / The Church of Santa Maria in Organo: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria in Organo)

The Church of Santa Maria in Organo: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Maria in Organo)

The Catholic Church of Santa Maria in Organo, built by the monks Benedictines in the 7th and 8th centuries during the reign of the Ostrogoths and Lombards in Italy, located in Verona. It was built as a Romanesque Basilica, but numerous renovations 12-14 centuries has given it a Gothic character. In 1533 was built next to the bell tower with 6 bells, and at the end of the 16th century architect Michele Sanmicheli rebuilt Gothic façade in classical style - he added three white marble of the portal, but kept the upper part of the façade, with its walls of tufa and brick. Once stood near the Church of the monastery was completely destroyed during the Napoleonic wars.

Inside the Church of Santa Maria in Organo has a Central nave, two side aisles, chancel and a crypt has preserved its medieval Romanesque appearance. On the walls of the Church you can see frescoes of nicolò and Francesco Golfino Karato and altarpieces of Domenico and Francesco Moroni and Giovanni Pittoni. In the 15th century, an outstanding painter, a master of inlay and a great dreamer of fra Giovanni da Verona carved wooden choir stalls and chairs-stasidia to the sacristy. He adorned their landscapes and still lifes. By the way, fra Giovanni da Verona was also the author of the project of the Church tower. Today ringers learn his craft on her 6 bronze bells, performing "Campane alla Veronese".

Dating from the 14th century until 1756, Santa Maria in Organo was the parish Church and belonged to Aqualaska Patriarchate. And the façade of the Church before 1800 was addressed to one of the tributaries of the Adige river, now covered with earth.