/ / The Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva: pictures, description Santa Maria sopra Minerva)

The Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva: pictures, description Santa Maria sopra Minerva)

The Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva — one of the main churches of the Catholic monastic order of the Dominicans. The first Christian Church on this place was built right on the ruins of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess ISIS, which was erroneously attributed to Greco-Roman goddess Minerva - hence the name of the Church. The temple is located on Piazza della Minerva in the ancient urban area "Champ de Mars".

Santa Maria Sopra Minerva with 1557 is a titular Church since 1566 — bears the title "minor Basilica". In different years the building of the Church and adjacent monastery served as the headquarters of the Dominican order. Today the headquarters of the order is located in the Roman monastery of Santa Sabina.

While many of the medieval Church of Rome at the time was redone in the Baroque style, which completely concealed their original Gothic style, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, the only remains of the Roman Church has kept the original Gothic appearance. Among the works of art that adorn the Church, can be called the statue of Michelangelo's "Cristo della Minerva, also known as "Christ the Savior" (early 15th century) and the fresco cycle by Filippino Lippi in the Carafa chapel (late 15th century). Here you can see the tombs of Popes Leo X and Clement VII by Antonio da Sangallo the younger, the tomb of fra Angelico and the memorial to Maria Raggi by Bernini.

In the era of Ancient Rome on the territory of the Basilica and former convent buildings housed three temples — the so-called Minerve, dedicated to the goddess Minerva (CA. 50 BC), Iseum dedicated to the goddess ISIS, and the Serapeum dedicated to the Hellenistic God Serapis. In 1665 in the garden of the monastery's cloister was discovered an Egyptian obelisk. Later near the Church there were found several of the obelisks, which were probably brought to Rome in the 1st century and belonged to the temple of ISIS. Around the 8th century, the temples were finally Christianized, and in the 13th century the Dominican order was founded on the basis of the Church of the monastery, the whole complex of buildings became known as "sapientia Insula ("island of wisdom").

The construction of a modern Gothic Church began in 1280 — the Dominicans took a sample of the Florentine Church Santa Maria Novella. With the help of funds donated by Pope Boniface VIII in the 14th century was extended with side naves of the Church, and in 1453 finally ended the interior. In the same year count Francesco Orsini sponsored the construction of the facade, however, the façade remained incomplete until 1725. In the 16th century Giuliano da Sangallo changed the area of the Church choir and in 1600 Carlo Maderno enlarged the apse, added Baroque decorations and gave the façade its present appearance in the Renaissance style. Interestingly, the facade of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva can be seen several marks of the 16th and 17th centuries, indicating the level of rise of water in the floods of the Tiber. In the 1848-1855 years Girolamo Bianchedi undertook the restoration of the Church, during which removed a large part of Baroque elements, and the white walls were covered with neo-Gothic frescos, which gave the building a Gothic revival appearance.

In front of the Church Santa Maria Sopra Minerva can be seen one of the most curious monuments of Rome, the so-called "Pulcino della Minerva. This statue, designed by architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini and executed by his pupil Ercole Ferrata in 1667, depicts the elephant that is holding the Egyptian obelisk. It is the shortest of the 11 obelisks in Rome. Some time a monument in the nation was known as the "Porcino" ("pig"), and then became known as Pulcino ("chicken"). This is probably due to the small height of the obelisk.

Inside the Church in addition to the above-mentioned chapel of the Carafa is to examine the Capranica chapel, and the chapel Aldobrandini raimunda de Penafort, Catholic Saint.