/ / The Church of Santa Croce: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Croce)

The Church of Santa Croce: photos, description Chiesa di Santa Croce)

Santa Croce - Roman Catholic Church in Padua, located on Corso Vittorio Emanuele. The Church appeared near the small chapel of the Holy cross, also known as Hall del Redentore. It is known that in 1181, the year here was the chapel, near the leper colony. In 1308, the year the Church received the status of parish, and three centuries later it was run by brothers Somaschi, who founded in its place the school. The construction of the current Church building in Rococo style was assigned to one of the novices, Francesco Vecelli. Construction began in 1737, the year, and was completed in 1749-m. the Bell tower appeared only in 1907 MGOU.

The facade of the Church of Santa Croce was designed to serve a worthy end district, Borgo Santa Croce, and stretches from the square Prato della Valle to the outer walls of the city. The pediment of the façade, supported by pilasters and half-columns of the Corinthian order. Two round turrets "facilitate" the appearance of the building. The main entrance is decorated with carved tympanum and the inscription, which commemorates the date of the consecration of the Church.

Inside the Church is elegantly decorated with architectural elements and decorations. So, in the presbytery with a semicircular apse you can see the impressive pilasters. The ceiling of the Church is decorated with stucco and gilding. On the frescoes of the temple worked such masters as Gualtieri, Girolamo dal Santo, Domenico Campagnola and Stefano dal Artere. The Central fresco of the Church Handbook, as well as frescoes of the dome and the presbytery - the work of Nicolo Baldassini. The main altar is notable for two statues of angels Antonio Bonazza).

One of the chapels of the Church called the Cappella della Madonna della Neve, the other - the same Hall del Redentore, from the 15th century. A little apart from the Church of Santa Croce stands the bell tower, built in the early 20th century on the site of the former cemetery.