/ / The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie: photos, description Santa Maria delle Grazie)

The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie: photos, description Santa Maria delle Grazie)

Santa Maria delle Grazie Church and Dominican convent in Milan, included in the UNESCO world cultural heritage site by UNESCO. The main attraction of the Church is a painting by Leonardo da Vinci "the last supper", painted on the wall of the mess hall.

The construction of the Dominican monastery and Church was started on the orders of the Duke of Milan Francesco I Sforza in the place where previously stood a small Church dedicated to the virgin of mercy. An architect was appointed Guiniforte Solari. In 1469, the year the building was completed, but the Church has for some time built. The new Duke Ludovico Sforza decided that the Church should become the burial place of the family Sforza and ordered him to rebuild the cloister and the apse, works were completed after 1490, the year. In 1497, the year here was buried the wife of Ludovico Beatrice.

It is considered that the design of the apse of the Church worked Donato Bramante, although reliable evidence of this. However, his name is engraved on a small piece of marble on the arches of the temple, the inscription dates back to 1494, the year.

In 1543, the year the chapel of the Holy cross in the right part of the nave was decorated with a painting by Titian "the Laying on of the crown of thorns", which is now stored in the Louvre (taken by Napoleon's troops in the late 18th century). Also, this chapel is decorated with frescoes by Gaudenzio Ferrari. And in the small cloister, near the door to the sacristy, you can see a mural of Bramantino. Another attraction of the Church are the frescoes by Bernardo Zenale.

But, of course, the main value of Santa Maria delle Grazie - the world famous painting "the last supper" painted by Leonardo da Vinci. It was written in 1495-98, respectively, and depicts a scene of the last supper of Jesus Christ with his disciples. During the Second World war, on the night of 15 August 1943, the year the bombs dropped by British and American troops destroyed the Church and monastery. A large part of the refectory was in ruins, but some of the walls miraculously survived, including one which depicts "the last supper" of da Vinci. From 1978 to 1999 was carried out large-scale restoration of the painting, which helped to preserve her for posterity.