/ / The Church of Santi Apostoli di Cristo: photo description (Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli di Cristo)

The Church of Santi Apostoli di Cristo: photo description (Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli di Cristo)

The Church of Santi Apostoli di Cristo, popularly known as San Apostoli, is one of the oldest churches of Venice. It was built in the 7th century on the territory of the modern city quarter of Castello, and since then rebuilt several times. The current Church building is the result of an extensive renovation undertaken in 1575, the year. One of the main attractions of San Apostoli is the Cornaro chapel, supposedly built by the architect Mauro Codussi in 1490-ies and is considered the most important example of architecture of the early Renaissance. This chapel is also the burial place of several members of the powerful Cornaro family, including Catherine Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus Kingdom. In addition, the Church is notable for several artworks, including works by Giambattista Tiepolo and Paolo Veronese.

In the 7th century Venice was not yet a town but a cluster of small settlements scattered around the lagoon. Just then here came the Holy Magnus, Bishop of Oderzo, and founded eight churches. According to legend, the Saint appeared to the Twelve Apostles, who entrusted him with the erection of the temple at the place where he will see 12 cranes. This place is located in the modern quarter of Cannaregio, became the site of the construction of San Apostoli.

In the 15th century, as mentioned above, the Church was added a chapel Cornaro, and before the Church was built, the porch and vestry. These works were also carried out with the participation of Mauro Codussi. In the mid-16th century, the building at some time was owned by catecumeno, Venetian monastic order, who was involved in the appeal wanting in Christianity. Later they settled in the Church of San Gregorio. Soon after, in 1575, the year, San Apostoli was rebuilt. From the original building are preserved only fragments of frescoes and the chapel of the Cornaro. In the early 18th century by Andrea Tirali to the Church tower was added dome-onion. The bell tower itself was built in the late 17th century. Inside the Church is preserved a plan of the 16th century only the nave is supported by two rows of columns. Of the artists who worked on the decoration of the interior San Apostoli, is to provide a Giambattista Tiepolo, Paolo Veronese, Giovanni Contarini, Sebastiano Santi and Cesare da Conegliano.