/ / The Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso: photos, description (Santi Nazaro e Celso)

The Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso: photos, description (Santi Nazaro e Celso)

The Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso is on Corso Giacomo Matteotti in Varese, at the intersection with via Fratelli, Bronzetti. The building houses a number of outstanding works of art, most famous of which is "Polyptych of Averoldi" - the masterpiece of the great Titian.

The original building of the Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso was erected in 1239, the year in about the same place as the present building, on the territory that was part of the surrounded the city walls of Brescia. In 1746, the year began large-scale reconstruction work, which was created majestic, crowned by a statue neoclassical façade, which today attracts the attention of tourists. The reconstruction was interrupted by the explosion that occurred at a gunpowder warehouse in the nearby Port area of Nazaro. Only in 1780, the year the Church was reopened for worship. And 17 years later, the collegiate Church was dissolved, but Santi Nazaro e Celso still some time remained the parish Church. In 1803, the year it was set on the work of Luigi Amati.

Of course, the main attraction of the Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso is", Averoldi Polyptych" by Titian. The creation of this painting was entrusted to the great painter of the papal legate in Venice, Altobello, Averoldi in 1522, the year. In those years, Titian was the chief painter of the Venetian Republic. The huge altarpiece was placed above the main altar of the Church in place of the altarpiece by Vincenzo Foppa.

In addition, the paintings in the Church houses several works of art, including works of Moretto 16th century, Paolo da Cailina Sr., Antonio Gandino, Giambattista Pittoni, Francesco Polazzo, Lattanzio Gambara and others.