/ / Church of Santissima Annunziata: photo, description Chiesa di Santissima Annunziata)

Church of Santissima Annunziata: photo, description Chiesa di Santissima Annunziata)

Church of Santissima Annunziata in Gaeta was built in the first half of the 14th century in the Gothic style, which was later changed. Today, it is an excellent example of Baroque architecture.

In 1321, the year the Bishop of Gaeta Francesco Bruno announced his intention to build in the city hospital with the adjoining Church. The construction lasted long enough and only in 1354, the year the new Church was consecrated in honor of the Annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary, the Santissima Annunziata. And a year later opened the hospital.

In the 16th century the Church was decorated with luxurious polyptych of Andrea Sabatini, gave her a rich resident of Gaeta Giuliano Colonia. In the same period of the so-called Golden chapel, located on the side of the apse, the first picture. In 1619, the year began the first reconstruction of the Church, which building took on its current Baroque appearance. The author of the project was the Neapolitan architect Andrea Lazzari who made the façade. His son Jacopo was working on the creation of the chapel of the Santissimo Sacramento and the nephew - the interior of the temple. In 1686, the year Giuseppe de Martino made on set right now in the gallery. Another organ was purchased from the Cathedral. In the same 17th century was made of wooden choirs and two side altars. The main throne appeared in the Church only in the 19th century. In the 20th century Santissima Annutsiata had been complicated, mainly due to the two world wars. Fortunately, all works of art that adorned the Church, including the old organ has been preserved until our days.

The exquisite facade of the Church is the creation of Andrea Lazzari - facing a small square, linking via del Annunziata and the promenade Giovanni Kaboto. Large cornices it is divided into three parts. In the first section is the portal, and secondly - a huge window, and the third is a small bell tower with a clock-to-ceramic. In the first and second sections on the sides are visible niche in which were to be placed statues of the saints, but that was never done. The right facade of the Church facing the promenade has recently been refurbished. On the left the facade is the ancient side portal in Gothic style. Probably so was the original main portal of the Church before the first reconstruction.

Inside the Santissima Annunziata is composed of a Central nave, divided into four span with cross vaults. In the first passage you can see two kapelnica of colored marble, large coat of arms of Gaeta under the window, a crucifix in a niche on the left wall and two confessionals. The second span of the side altars are decorated with paintings of Luca Giordano. Special attention is given to the amazing chapel of Santissimo Sacramento, the vaults painted by Andrea Scapuzzi.