/ / Church of Santissima Annunziata: photo, description Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata)

Church of Santissima Annunziata: photo, description Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata)

Church of Santissima Annunziata, also known as Basilica Del Paradiso, Catholic Church and convent in Parma, built in the Renaissance style and located on via Massimo D Azelio. The Church was built on the site of the monastery that once belonged to the Franciscan order and was located outside the city walls. The ancient monastery was destroyed in 1546, the year the Duke pier Luigi Farnese.

The Church was originally dedicated to saints Gervasio and Protasio. Its construction started in 1566, the year by the architect Giambattista Fornovo. To 1616, the year part of the roof of the new temple collapsed, and its further construction was suspended. Only the intervention of the Duchess Margherita Farnese, who later became a nun, and were allowed to continue the construction of the Church and, in particular, awkward and angular dome project Girolamo Rainaldi. Inside the Church had ellipsoidal shape with two semicircular rooms connected by straight corridors, apse, chapels and ten inner atrium. In the left atrium you can see a copy of the Annunciation by Correggio (1520) - frescoes from the Church of the Minori in via Farini. In one of the niches exhibited terracotta sculptures by Antonio Sbravati and images of saints Gervasio and Protasio the beginning of the 19th century brush Biagio Martini. Also in the Church are the works of Antonio Brianti, Francesco Zavanelli, Pierre Illario Polverini, Sebastiano Galeotti and other masters of different eras. In one of the chapels installed baptismal font, the work of Camillo Uccelli.

The convent of the Santissima Annunziata was partly designed by the architect Giovanni Battista Magnani, the refectory was completed in 1637, the year, and the cloister - in 1688, the year. In the monastery consisted of a huge library, and the rooms in it were stored the artifacts belonging to the local blessed Lino Maupas.