/ / The Church of the Santissima trinità dei Monti: photo, description Chiesa della Santissima Trinita dei Monti)

The Church of the Santissima trinità dei Monti: photo, description Chiesa della Santissima Trinita dei Monti)

The Church of the Santissima trinità dei Monti is a titular Church in late Renaissance style in Rome. Towering over the Spanish steps leading to the Plaza of Spain. Interestingly, for the Church and the adjacent area (including the Villa Medici) is responsible France.

In 1494 Saint Francis of Paola, a hermit from Calabria, bought a vineyard and obtained from Pope Alexander VI resolution on the construction of a monastery for the order of the minims. And in 1502 on the orders of French king Louis XII, next to the monastery began construction of the Church of trinità dei Monti, designed to perpetuate the invasion of the French in Naples.

The current Church building in the Italian Renaissance style was erected on the site of the first temple and consecrated in 1585, the year Pope Sixtus V (he ordered to pave the via Sistina, which connected the Piazza della trinità dei Monti and Piazza Barberini are on the other side of town).

It is not known who worked on the facade of the Church. Guess it was Giacomo della Porta, a follower of Michelangelo, who earlier con the Church of San Anastasio dei Greci. Double staircase in front of trinità dei Monti - the creation of Domenico Fontana. Here you can see the Obelisco, Sallustiano is one of the many obelisks of Rome, imitating the Egyptian. It was established in 1789.

During the Napoleonic occupation of Rome the Church of Trinita dei Monti, like many others, was stripped of its decorations and works of art. However in 1816 it was restored at the expense of king Louis XVIII. Today, the Church interior is decorated with works by Giambattista Naldini, Daniele da Volterra, Cesare Nebbia etc. In a niche of the cloisters is preserved the fresco of the virgin Mary, which was drawn by a French girl in 1844.