/ / Church. Francis of Assisi: photo, description Chiesa di San Francesco d Assisi)

Church. Francis of Assisi: photo, description Chiesa di San Francesco d Assisi)

San Francesco d'assisi, for centuries known as the San Francesco Grande Church in Padua, standing on the same street.

In 1414, the year one, Bonaveri Baldo and Sibilla his wife announced that they want to spend part of his fortune to build a Church and monastery hospital in Santa contra Margaret. And in 1416, the year was laid the first stone in the Foundation of the future of the religious complex, worked on a project for Nicholas Gobbo. Alas, Bonaveri died before the completion of construction, but, according to his will in 1421, the year he was buried in the new Church.

The Church was built in the shape of a Latin cross in Gothic style and consecrated in 1430, the year. At the beginning of the 16th century the building was enlarged: was added the altar part of the temple, which housed the new seat in the choir. The nave is of the 15th century was framed by two wide side aisles with chapels. In 1862, the year in the Church restoration was carried out, during which was moved or destroyed many of the tombstones.

The Church of San Francesco d'assisi is a huge complex with a monastery on the left and hospital on the right. The link between the buildings is a covered gallery with 37 arches decorated with terracotta. The portico was once decorated with grisaille - painting in grey and brown tones work Francesco Squarcione the mid-15th century, but over time it faded or was painted over. In 2014, the year the decision was made to image restoration.

The facade of the Church is remarkable hanging arched and decorative band, decorated with terracotta. Huge rose-window surmounted by a niche, which probably once was a fresco. To get inside the temple through one of three doors, the Central of which is made in the Baroque style. The nave and transept also stand suspended arched 15th century. Placed along the walls of the Gothic rose window and Lancet Windows of the 16th century. Near the left side of the apse is Gothic bell tower crowned with a dome.

Inside the Church you should pay attention to four main columns of red marble, brought here from Piazza dei Signori, and the late Gothic frescoes.