/ / The Church of Saint Anastasia: pictures, description Chiesa di Santa Anastasia)

The Church of Saint Anastasia: pictures, description Chiesa di Santa Anastasia)

Built in the Gothic style Church of St. Anastasia is the biggest Church of Verona, owned by the Dominicans. Located in the oldest part of the city to the Ponte Pietra, it bears the name of the Christian Martyr Anastasia Uzoreshitelnitsy. Once here stood another Church also erected in honor of the Holy by order of the Emperor Theodoric.

The construction of the present Basilica began in 1290, presumably according to the project of the Dominican monks, fra Benvenuto da Bologna and fra ' Nicola da Imola. The construction of the Church lasted almost half a century, and was completed only in 1400. In 1471 was consecrated the new Church. In fact, it was consecrated in honor of St. Peter of Verona, however, local residents from the very beginning called the Basilica of the previous name of the Church, and under that name she became known outside Italy.

The Central facade of the Church with a simple window plug was left unfinished - the upper part is not lined. The main entrance is decorated with bas-reliefs, Regina di Enrico depicting scenes from the New Testament and the lives of St. Anastasia, has two doorways. To the high apse of the Basilica attached the bell tower, which is crowned by the pointed steeple. And next is the sarcophagus of Guglielmo di Castelbarco created in the early 14th century and believed to be used as a model for famous for the Scaliger tombs.

Inside the Basilica of St. Anastasia consists of a Central nave and two side aisles separated by a colonnade of 12 marble columns. They, in turn, rest on the arch, decorated with floral ornaments. In the left side chapel is a monument of Cortesia Serego made in 1432, and at the entrance there are water bowls of the 16th century, next to which you can see the so-called "Gorbunov St. Anastasia" - a grotesque statue. Above the portal are images of a Bishop, a leading Norodom Verona, and St. Peter of Verona with the monks. The Central pillar, standing between doorways, decorated with bas-reliefs of St. Dominic, St. Peter of Verona and St. Thomas. On the floor of the Church in 1462 the artist Pietro da Porlezza posted a beautiful mosaic of white, pink and grey-blue local marble, which is also partially lined the entrance to the Basilica.