/ / The citadel: photo description (Citadella)

The citadel: photo description (Citadella)

The citadel, also known as Porta di Carlo V, is one of the tourist attractions of Gaeta. In 1516, the year after the death of king Ferdinand of Aragon, the Spanish throne was inherited by his grandson, Charles of Austria who made history as Charles V, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

Continuing the strengthening of Gaeta, started by his grandfather, Charles V from 1516 to 1538 was attracted to the work of the best military architects of his time for the erection of high walls along the rugged coastline Guitarsolo Bay. The building is called the Citadel. The entrance to it is a large room located between the two doors, one oriented to the East, the second South. For centuries, this complex, also known as Porta di Carlo V, was the only land access to the fortified city. For this reason it was also called the Terra Port.

In 1660, the year of the ruling in Gaeta Spanish field Marshal don Alonzo de Monroy ordered the construction of a hall in the Citadel chapel dedicated to the virgin Mary. Assuming he did this in gratitude for a happy escape from death. Some time in the chapel was kept the icon of our lady of sorrows, which is especially revered by the Spaniards, and which they called Santa Maria de La Soledad. Monrroy besides the fact that he built a chapel at their own expense, also obtained from Rome permission to hold a weekly Sunday mass. In 1668, the year he donated 200 ducats to the extension of the chapel and the purchase of sacred vessels. Monroe also wanted to Gaeta introduced the position of a military priest, who was supposed to be Spanish or have Spanish origin.

Monroe died 1668 in the same year at the age of 57 and was buried under the Church of San Francesco. And when, in 1809, the year the Church was destroyed, was found a stone slab over the grave of the General.