/ / Chapel of Sant Ampelio: photos, description (Cappella di Sant Ampelio)

Chapel of Sant Ampelio: photos, description (Cappella di Sant Ampelio)

Chapel of Sant Ampelio - tiny Church, built on a rocky promontory, with views of the entrance to the resort town of Bordighera in the East. The Cape bearing the same name - the Holy Ampelia is the southern tip of Liguria and the whole of Northern Italy.

According to legend, the Holy Ampeli, patron of Bordighera, was a hermit, who in the 5th century, arrived in the city of the Theban desert and brought with them the seeds of date palms. In Bordighera Ampli lived in a cave among the rocks.

Archaeologist Nino Lamboglia called the chapel of Sant Ampelio "palimpsest ten centuries of history." The current Church building in the Romanesque style dates from the 11th century. Once she was in charge of the powerful Benedictine Abbey Nonmajor in Provence. In the 15th and 17th centuries the building was partially altered, and in 1884, the year renovated. The facade and bell tower are modern buildings.

At the main altar of the Church you can see the statue of St. Amelia 17th century. In the crypt with two apses and small oblique holes is hewn block of stone from La Turbi (rocks, overlooking the Principality of Monaco). According to legend, this stone was modest and very uncomfortable bed of the Saint, where Ampeli and died in October 428, the year. In 1140, the year of the Genoese Republic, desiring to punish the rebellious inhabitants of Bordighera, took the relics of the Saint in the neighboring town of San Remo. There they were placed in the Church of Santo Stefano, administered by the Benedictine order. In 1258, the year the relics of Amelia moved to Genoa, to the Abbey of Santo Stefano - there Ampeli, a blacksmith by profession, was considered the patron Saint of blacksmithing. Only in 1947 year, at the behest of the Archbishop of Genoa, Giuseppe Siri relics of the Saint were returned to Bordighera.

Amply returned home on the water - this happened on 16 August of the same year. A solemn procession carried the sacred remains through the whole city in the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena, where they rest to this day.

On the same street there is a monument to Queen Margaret, made by the sculptor Italo Griselli and installed in 1939 year.