/ / Certosa di Pavia: photo description (Certosa di Pavia)

Certosa di Pavia: photo description (Certosa di Pavia)

Certosa di Pavia - old Carthusian monastery, has become one of the most famous attractions of Lombardy. The monastery is located 8 km from Pavia, on the way to Milan and known as the tombs of members of the powerful families of Visconti and Sforza, but also as an exceptional example of Lombard art.

Gothic Church on this site was built in the late 14th century on the orders of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, in those years, she stood on the border of his vast hunting grounds. The author of the project of the temple was Marco Solari, and in the 15th century, the Church has worked with other members of this family, Giovanni and Guiniforte Solari. Modern look Certosa gave Giovanni Antonio Amadeo. In 1497, the year the Church was consecrated, although finishing work continued for several years.

In 1782, the year by order of the Austrian Emperor Joseph Cartesians were expelled from Pavia, Certosa and for several years belonged to the first Cistercians, and the Carmelites. Only in 1843, the year the Cartesians bought the monastery and in 1866, the year the building was declared a national monument.

Certosa di Pavia - an unusually eclectic building, the architecture combining the features of Northern Gothic and Florentine influences of the Renaissance. It is known that some elements have been borrowed by architects from the Milan Duomo. Inside the monastery are decorated with the works of Borgognone, Perugino, Luini, and Guercino. Deserving special attention is the tomb of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, which at the end of the 15th century worked Cristoforo Romano and Benedetto Briosco. And at the end of the 16th century in Certosa moved the sculptural decoration of the tomb of Lodovico Moro and Beatrice d'este of Milan's Santa Maria delle Grazie. Also pay attention to a bronze chandelier and stained-glass Windows Bergognone and Vincenzo Foppa.

An elegant portal, with sculptures of Mantegazza brothers and Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, leads from the Church to a small patio with garden in the center. Attraction of this cloister are the terracotta decoration of the small columns made by Rinaldo de Tourism between 1463 and 1478 years. Some of the arcade are decorated with frescoes by Daniele Crespi. Also interesting Lavabo - bowl for washing hands - with the image of Christ and fotinia Samaritan woman at the well. Similar decorations can be seen in the great cloister of size 125Ñ…100 meters. Here the cells of the monks open to the garden.