/ / Kinky crosses Brugherio: photos, description (Colonne votive di Brugherio)

Kinky crosses Brugherio: photos, description (Colonne votive di Brugherio)

Kinky crosses Brugherio is one of the oldest sights in the city of Brugherio in the province of Monza and Brianza, Lombardy. The crosses were erected after the plague epidemic that broke out in Monza and the surrounding area in 1576, the year. To our days have survived three of the four crosses that are installed once in place, the four altars of worship during the epidemic.

The plague that struck Milan and its surroundings in 1575-1576-m years, known as "the plague of St. Charles". The name she gave Alessandro Manzoni in his novel "the Betrothed", to distinguish it from the epidemic of 1630, the year. Probably an epidemic of the 16th century spread from the Turks living in Hungary, and from there through Germany along the Danube she was taken to Switzerland and then to Northern Italy - Trento, Verona and Venice. In 1576, the year the epidemic reached Milan. Two months died more than 6 thousand people. Archbishop of Milan Carlo Borromeo, unlike other representatives of the authorities and the aristocracy left the city. He ordered to close all the churches and set altars in the streets, giving the opportunity to the faithful to attend mass without leaving home. He also donated most of his clothes and Church tapestries in need and organized a procession to comfort the infected. After his death in 1584, the year Carlo Borromeo was declared a local Saint, but later this decision was endorsed by Pope Paul V, who canonized Archbishop. So today is the epidemic known under his name.

After the end of the street, the altars were disassembled, but in gratitude for deliverance from danger in their place were installed the crosses. Surviving can be seen today in Piazza Roma near the Church of San Bartolomeo, on Viale Lombardia next to the old cemetery and in Corazza. The cross that once stood in San Damiano, has not survived.

The cross on the Piazza Roma is notable for inscriptions on the ball at the top of the column and at the base. Another inscription is on a stone base pedestal. This cross is known as Cross Scottie, as was done by Bernard Scotti in 1576, the year.

Cross the Viale Lazio stands near the cemetery and there is a small "bump" at the top. It is also engraved with the name Bernard Scotti, who worked on the cross in 1578, the year. This cross is often called the Cross of Brugherio.

Finally, the third cross was installed at the intersection of Corazza. This cross in 1928, the year was destroyed during the hurricane and a year later restored Angelo Cazzaniga.