/ / The spires of Naples: photo description (Guglie di Napoli)

The spires of Naples: photo description (Guglie di Napoli)

Spires of Naples - monumental columns in the historic center of Naples. These monuments were erected in commemoration of the end or the deliverance of the city from the plague; they are the plague columns. Their other name is Mariana columns, because columns usually surmounted by a statue of the virgin Mary. These columns were placed also in memory of other disasters, such as earthquakes or volcanic eruptions, and also as a sign of deep faith, or atonement. Each column was given its name by the name of the Saint whose image is installed on the top. The most outstanding plague columns were erected in Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries - as a rule, they are richly decorated with ornaments and represent a sample of Baroque architecture. In Naples has installed three such columns, but only one of them is directly plague column.

In the square of Sisto Riario Sforza, spire is San Genaro. Its creation began in 1636, the year and ended in 1650 to commemorate the salvation of the city from the terrible earthquake of 1631, the year. Over the spire worked Cosimo, Vanzago is probably the most important Neapolitan architect of the Baroque era.

The following spire - the spire of San Domenico - set in the Piazza San Domenico Maggiore. It was built from 1656 to 1737-th years. The name refers to the spire of St. Domenico di Guzman, the founder of the Dominican order. The construction of this spire was started after the plague epidemic in 1656, the year according to the project, Fanzago. However, later over the column worked as Royal architect, Francesco Antonio Picchiati, due to which the erection of the spire in 1680, the year was suspended despite the fact that the design was only halfway complete. Only in 1737, the year the column was completed under the supervision of architect Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. Today the spire of San Domenico is the only post that is plague of Naples.

Finally, the spire of the Immaculate virgin Mary in the center of the Piazza gesù Nuovo was built from 1747 to 1750, the first years on the initiative of king Charles III. He wanted the people to be able to worship the Immaculate virgin Mary without having to specifically go to the Church of gesù Nuovo, where then stood a statue. The project column was created by Giuseppe Genoino, and the main sculptors were Bottiglieri Matteo and Francesco Pagano. The rich ornament of the column symbolizes the sculpture of the epoch of the Neapolitan Baroque.