/ / Abbey, Casamari in Veroli: photo description (Abbazia di Casamari)

Abbey, Casamari in Veroli: photo description (Abbazia di Casamari)

Casamari Abbey, a Cistercian Abbey in the province of Frosinone in the Italian region Latium, about 10 km from the town of Veroli. According to the documents, the Abbey was founded in the 9th century as a Benedictine monastery - it was a small community with a simple Church. In the middle of the 11th century the building was extended on the initiative of the then Abbot Giovanni, when the monastery became transformed into a religious center and received many donations. However, in the 12th century began a long period of decline of the Abbey, which was caused by a severe financial crisis throughout the region. In that period, the Abbey was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Cistercian order. In 1417, the year, during the siege of the complex by the army of the Neapolitan Queen Giovanna II, all the Western wing of the Abbey was destroyed.

At the beginning of the 19th century, Katamari, like most other religious institutions of Italy, was abolished by order of Napoleon, seized power on the Apennine Peninsula. French troops, returning home after the siege of Naples, stayed in the Abbey, where he was warmly received by the Abbot Simon. Despite its reception, the soldiers destroyed the Church and shot the pastor and five novices. Subsequently the dead were declared martyrs and buried in the Church. In the 20th century, the Abbey was restored Katamari. In 1940-m to year in Ethiopia was created as the first child of the community of the Abbey, which today in this country reaches four with 100 novices. Monasteries, Katamari there are also in Brazil and the United States.

The Abbey itself, Katamari is a fine example of early Gothic architecture. The building, reminiscent of the Abbey Fossanova, well preserved to our days. In 1874, the year it was declared a national monument. Inside the complex is garden, Central part of which is occupied a covered arched gallery of rectangular shape with semi-cylindrical vaults. The building of the Chapter with pilasters used for meetings and gatherings. Through the cloister you can visit the Church built on the Basilica plan with a Central nave and two side aisles. Its facade is notable for the large external portico, and the Windows instead of glass covered with plates of alabaster.