/ / The Abbey of chiaravalle: photos, description Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra)

The Abbey of chiaravalle: photos, description Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra)

The Abbey of chiaravalle, also known as the Fiastra Abbey, is a Cistercian monastery located between the towns of Tolentino and Urbisaglia, in the Marche region of Central Italy. Surrounded by a vast natural reserve, he is one of the most well-preserved of the Cistercian abbeys of Italy.

In 1142, the year of Guarneri II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, highlighted the Cistercian monastic order a big plot of land between the rivers Chienti and Fiastra. In the same year, arrived here the monks of the Milan chiaravalle Abbey and began the erection of the monastery. For this they used materials from the ruins located next to the ancient city garrison Urbs Salvia, which was destroyed by Alaric in the 5th century. The monks began to drain the marshland, inhabited by wolves, bears, and deer.

For three centuries, the Abbey of Fiastra flourished. The monks divided their agricultural land into six allotments of land which is actively cultivated. Monks also participated in the economic, social and religious life of the region. The influence of the Abbey grew to the 15th century in its submission there were 33 of the Church and monastery, and his story is recorded in 3194 manuscripts "the Map, Piastroni", now preserved in Rome.

But in 1422, the year the Abbey of Fiastra was looted by soldiers of Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the Church roof and the bell tower and killed a large number of monks. Followed by by order of the Pope it was run by the group of eight cardinals. In 1581, the year the Abbey was transferred to the Jesuits, after the abolition of which in 1773, the year the property passed to the noble family Bandini. The last representative of the family, Sigismondo, handed the management of the Abbey the Foundation Giustiniani-Bandini, on whose initiative and was established a natural reserve for the protection of natural and cultural heritage of these places. In 1985, the year the historical value of the Abbey was recognized at the national level.

The Church of the Abbey bears the name of Santa Maria di Chiaravalle di Fiastra. Its impressive building is designed in a transitional Romanesque-Gothic style, traditional Cistercian architecture. Inside it has three aisles and eight bays with Romanesque arches. The capitals of the columns were carved by the monks.

The monastery, which stands near the Church, still functions as a Cistercian community. It is notable for its beautiful cloister, rebuilt in the 15th century, around which you can see brothers of the secular refectory, cells, the Chapter house and the grottoes.