/ / Abbey Marienberg: photo description (Abbazia Monte Maria)

Abbey Marienberg: photo description (Abbazia Monte Maria)

Abbey Marienberg, also known as Monte Maria, is a Benedictine Abbey located in the town of Mal's in South Tyrol in the North of Italy. It was founded in 1149 or 1150 by Ulrich von Tarasp and other nobles. Standing at a height of 1340 metres above sea level, this Abbey is considered the "high" in Europe. In the building are clearly visible features of Baroque style with some Romanesque elements, and inside, a well-preserved ancient frescoes.

The history of Foundation of the Abbey dates back to the Frankish king Charlemagne, who between 780 and 786 a Benedictine created a monastery near Tubre of the town, from the Vinschgau valley bordering Switzerland. At the end of the 9th century a Benedictine monastery was dissolved and re-opened as a convent for both sexes. About two hundred years later there was another reorganization, when Eberhard Trapski built a monastery in the town of Scuol in the valley of the river Inn, where he moved the male population of the monastery Tubre. The nuns remained in place. In 1131, Ulrich von Tarasp called monks from the German Tubre monastery Ottobeuren - the influx of novices are allowed to turn the monastery to the Abbey. So in 1149 on the hill near the village of Burgusio a new municipality under the name of Marienberg.

After about a hundred years after the founding of the Abbey had a serious conflict. It was twice plundered, and in 1304 Abbot Hermann was killed. Then an epidemic of plague, which killed almost the entire population of the Abbey, except for four people. Among the survivors was the rector of Vigo and the novice Goswin, who later became a priest and chronicler of the history of the Abbey. He wrote the history of Marienberg: the first book tells about the Foundation of the Abbey, the second - about the history of the abbots, and the third lists the privileges that are granted to Popes and rulers. Goswin also was a court priest of the Austrian Duke Leopold III.

In 1418 Marienberg was burned down and later rebuilt. After a brief period of abandonment in the 16th century, several German monks rebuilt the Abbey and expanded it. In 1634 it became part of the Benedictine Congregation of Swabia. A little later, was greatly enlarged library, and younger novices began to impute the responsibility of graduation. In 1724, rector of John the Baptist, Murr founded in Meerane humanistic school, which to this day is managed by the monks of the Abbey. Today, Marienberg specializiruetsya on adult education: in the Abbey are held weekend courses and implements long-term educational programs. In addition, you can order a special tour to explore this historic building and the history of its inhabitants.