/ / Abbey Murray Gris and the Church of St. Augustine: photo, description Abbazia di Muri-Gries e la Ciesa di Sant'agostino)

Abbey Murray Gris and the Church of St. Augustine: photo, description Abbazia di Muri-Gries e la Ciesa di Sant'agostino)

Abbey Murray Gris and St. Augustine Church is one of the oldest attractions of Bolzano. A massive architectural complex of the Abbey is located on the right side of the Piazza Gris. The first religious inhabitants of the monastery began in the early 15th century the Augustinian monks. Then, in 1522 year, the Abbey was plundered by rebellious farmers, and later, during the reign of Napoleon again broke. The Augustinian order was abolished in 1807, the year the Bavarian government, and all his possessions, including the Murray-Gris, in 1845, by order of the Austrian Emperor gave the Benedictines, expelled at the same time, from Switzerland.

With the arrival of the Benedictines began a new page in the history of the Abbey, called the Murray-Gris, and in the history of local winemaking. The monks are very serious about discipline, and in terms of wine production, too. At the beginning of the 20th century the wine produced in the territory of the Murray-Gris started to export in some German-speaking regions. In those years there were grown grape varieties such as Santa Magdalena, Malvasia, Lagrein, Kretzer and Pinot Grigio.

The oldest part of the Abbey today is represented by the castle built in the 12th century graphs Mori-Greifenstein. The castle later became the property of the Austrian Dukes, and then, in 1406, the year, - by Augustinian monks, who turned it into a monastery. The main tower of the castle was the Church's bell tower. It is in this bell tower is the heaviest in all of South Tyrol bell - it weighs 5026 kg!

St. Augustine Church was built in 1769-1771, respectively, in the Baroque style. The arches of the nave and dome, and seven altarpieces decorated with frescoes by the famous Tyrolean painter Martin Knoller.