/ / Abbey Novalesa: photos, description Abbazia di Novalesa)

Abbey Novalesa: photos, description Abbazia di Novalesa)

Abbey Novalesa ancient religious complex founded in the 8th century and located in the municipality of Novalesa on the territory of the Italian Val di Susa.

The history of the Abbey originates in the distant 726, the year it was founded by the order of the Frankish ruler of Susa Abbona in order to control the pass Moncenisio. In those years the monasteries were located in strategically important places, and Franks often used them as a starting point for their conquests. The first Abbot of the Abbey, Godone, was appointed by Abbona.

From the Frankish rulers Pepin and Charlemagne Novalesa received many benefits, among which was the right of electing the rector and independence from secular and religious institutions. Over time, the possessions of the Abbey stretched to the Liguria, and it was in close relations with the Abbey of San Colombano, in the town of Bobbio in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna. In 817, the year Novalesa became the property of the Benedictine monks, flourishing it happened in 820-845-m years under the direction of Eldara.

Unfortunately, in 906, the year the Abbey was destroyed by the Saracens, and the monks fled to Turin. Passing through the town of Lomellina, they built there the monastery of Breme. Among the escaped monks were canonized later Justus and Flaviano, which in Oulx was killed by the Saracens. In the 11th century Novalesa was rebuilt and together with the communes Ferrera and Venus Church formed a kind of belt which for many centuries preserved its independence.

In 1646, the year the Abbey became property of the Cistercian order, who ruled it until 1798, the year when he was expelled by the government of Piedmont. A couple of years later, in 1802, the year that Napoleon entrusted the management Novality monks Trappist, which was to facilitate the transition of the French troops through the pass, Moncenisio. Subsequently, after the publication of the law on the abolition of the monasteries, the novices of the Abbey were again forced to leave it. Auction for building the religious complex was converted into a hotel and Seminary library. Only in 1972, the year the monastery complex Novelty was purchased by the government of the province of Torino and was again transferred to the Benedictine order.

Abbey Novalesa preserved the traces of all past eras. In the Church, built in the 18th century on the foundations of ancient, Romanesque, temple, you can see fragments of frescoes, among which special attention deserves the image of St. Stephen, stoned to death, - it was made in the 11th century. The cloister Church was built in the 16th century. Near the monastery there are four chapels: Santa Maria (8th century), San Salvatore (mid 11th century), San Michele (8-9 century) and San Eldrado, which is notable for the fresco cycle of the end of the 11th century.