/ / The Abbey of San Clemente and Casauria: photos, description Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria)

The Abbey of San Clemente and Casauria: photos, description Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria)

The Abbey of San Clemente and Casauria is located on the territory of the small town of Castiglione and Casauria in the province of Pescara in the Italian region of Abruzzo. It was founded in 871, the year Louis II, great-grandson of Charlemagne, according to the vow made during his imprisonment in the Duchy of Benevento. Initially the Abbey was dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and 872, the year - St. Clement, whose remains were brought here the same year.

Throughout its history, the Abbey was several times looted, including from the Saracens in 920, the year and the Normans in 1076 and 1097. After the last looting of the Benedictine father Abbot Grimoaldo initiated the reconstruction of the building of the Abbey, who in 1105, the year was periolase. It is true that the erection of the new building was completed only at the end of the 12th century.

The facade of the Abbey is preceded by a portico with columns and capitals, and under it there are three portals. The average and largest size has an architectural steel I-beam and a tympanum with sculpted scenes from the life of St. Clement and the history of the Abbey. In the center of the tympanum can be seen the figure of St. Clement in the papal vestments to his right are the saints Fabio and Cornelius, and the left - the Abbot Leonat, which was completed reconstruction of the building. The bronze door was made in 1191, the year is divided into 72 rectangular panels with images of such objects as crosses, abbots, rose gardens, and 14 castles that were in charge of the Abbey.

Inside the now-secularized Church Easter chandelier and a massive pulpit, dated to the 12th century. The Church itself consists of a Central nave, two side aisles and a semicircular apse. The main altar is an early Christian tomb, mounted on kivoryi the 14th century. Next you can see a large marble reliquary with the relics of St. Clement. And in the crypt are traces of the very first buildings of the Abbey, founded in the 9th century.